Monday, May 28, 2012

First! I win!

I've been journaling to myself a bit about what it feels like to be getting back into music, and I had the idea to just start a blog about it - composing, writing, recording tools, equipment, plugins, and the process in general.

So, I'll be sharing parts of my process here: tracks I'm currently working on, plugins, instruments, or effects I'm playing with, and other things I'm learning about as I go. (Note that I said "parts" of my process. The primal scream therapy, self-flagellation, and ululations to Mithras are my own goddamn beeswax.)

I don't have a big foundation in music theory - I've always been a "bang on it til it makes the right sound" kind of musician, and mostly on old 4-track units - so I'm also starting over in the sense that I'm trying to learn piano/keyboards properly, reading music and understanding musical notation, and possibly some vocal lessons in the future. Plus, I'm trying to gobble entire garbage trucks full of tips and techniques on composing and mixing electronic music, and digital recording overall, at the same time.

The title of the blog came from a drunken conversation with Jesse Dawson a long time ago, and we thought it should be a critical blog about bad pop music and the music industry, but that didn't really get anywhere. Probably because we don't give a shit enough about pop music to spend much time on it. So I've appropriated the title for my own purposes. I win.

I'll share links to sites, like Soundcloud, to hear pieces I'm working on, and possibly other music that's influencing me at the moment.

In the spirit of that (and a big thanks to Jesse for sharing this) I'd like to pass on a Nico Jaar project that's currently killing me.

KILLING. ME.


No comments:

Post a Comment